Man died after eating raw oysters: How did Rodney Jackson die?

 

Man died after eating raw oysters: How did Rodney Jackson die? Explained

According to reports, two persons have perished after consuming raw oysters that were fished in Louisianan waters. Let’s see about the Man died after eating raw oysters and Rodney Jackson cause of death in detail

What happened to Rodney Jackson?

On a recent vacation to the Sunshine State in early August, Air Force veteran and Dallas resident Rodney Jackson, 55, bought oysters from a seafood store there, according to the Pensacola News Journal.

Jackson drank some of the oysters he bought, according to the local news source, and soon after experienced moderate signs of illness.

Therefore, Rodney Jackson died after eating raw oysters.

Rodney Jackson cause of death

According to the New York Post, Jackson’s oyster-related death is the second to occur in Florida; however, the identity of the first guy to pass away for the same reason has not been made public.

As per the medical reports, a Bacterial infection from raw oysters was Rodney Jackson’s cause of death.

As per the news source, oysters from Louisiana are thought to be responsible for both of the reported cases.

Who is Rodney Jackson?

Jackson, a business director, reportedly passed away on Tuesday, August 9, and experts discovered that raw oysters were the source of his fatal infection, according to the Pensacola News Journal.

According to Florida officials, two people died after eating raw Louisiana oysters.

He was taken to the Ascension Sacred Heart’s Intensive Care Unit in Pensacola after his symptoms reportedly got worse when he had respiratory problems.

There, he was identified as having vibriosis, a bacterial infection typically linked to exposure to raw or undercooked shellfish or seawater.

What is Vibrio?

Based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Vibrio, the bacteria that causes vibriosis, is responsible for an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 fatalities each year in the United States (CDC).

The most commonly reported species, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, is calculated to cause 45,000 illnesses each year in the United States.

The bacteria is said to thrive in warm water, including saline water and brackish water, and it can stay on shellfish for a very long time after the animals have been taken out of the water.

Vibriosis Infection

The infection produced by Vibrio bacteria is known as vibriosis.

According to the CDC’s “Food Safety: Oysters and Vibriosis” article, vibrio infections often happen after a person consumes vibrio-covered shellfish or exposes an open wound to contaminated seafood or seawater.

The CDC stated, “An oyster containing Vibrio doesn’t look, smell, or even taste different from any other oyster.
Oysters and other shellfish can be properly cooked to kill Vibrio.

In most cases, the sickness results from eating spoiled food, such as raw or undercooked shellfish from water that contains the bacteria.

Symptoms of Vibriosis infection

Vibrio bacteria can be swallowed and result in watery diarrhea, which is frequently accompanied by nausea, vomiting, fever, and chills.

These signs often appear within 24 hours of use and linger for around 3 days.

Rare cases of severe disease often affect immune-compromised individuals.

If salt water or brackish water comes in contact with an open wound, the Vibrio bacterium can potentially result in a skin infection.

Fresh and saltwater combine to form brackish water.

It frequently occurs where rivers flow into the sea.

Who is more prone to vibriosis?

Vibriosis is more likely to affect people with weak immune systems, especially those with chronic liver illness.

One’s likelihood of contracting vibriosis can be increased by consuming raw shellfish, especially oysters, and by exposing exposed wounds to brackish or saline water.

About 80% of illnesses occur between May and October when water temperatures are warmer.

Is vibriosis a dangerous condition?

With a mild case of vibriosis, the majority of patients recover in 3 days or less with no long-term consequences.

But Vibrio vulnificus infections can cause severe illness, necessitating either limb amputation or urgent care.

Infections of this kind cause about 1 in 4 victims to pass away, sometimes just a day or two after becoming ill.

How can vibrio infection Diagnose?

When a patient has watery diarrhea and has had raw or undercooked seafood, especially oysters, or when a wound infection happens after exposure to seawater, a doctor may suspect vibriosis.

When Vibrio bacteria are discovered in the stool, wound, or blood of a patient exhibiting vibriosis signs, infection is determined to have occurred.

How is infection treated?

In moderate situations, no treatment is required, but patients should drink a lot of liquids to replenish the fluids lost during diarrhea.

Antibiotics are occasionally used in severe or protracted infections, despite the lack of evidence that they reduce the intensity or length of sickness.

How can you prevent vibriosis?

Avoid eating raw or undercooked shellfish, such as oysters, to lower your risk of contracting vibriosis.

If you have a wound (including cuts and scrapes), avoid coming into touch with brackish or salt water.

If there’s a chance it might also come into contact with raw seafood or raw seafood juices, cover the wound with a waterproof bandage.

 

Relationship between Raw Oysters and Vibriosis infection

The popularity of eating raw oysters has led to the emergence of raw oyster bars at some of the hottest restaurants.

However, consuming raw oysters and other undercooked shellfish might increase your chance of contracting diseases, such as vibriosis, which is brought on by specific strains of the Vibrio bacterium.

Oysters reside in coastal waters, which are naturally home to Vibrio bacteria.

Bacteria can accumulate in oyster tissues because they consume water by filtering it.

Oysters may contain bacteria or viruses that can make a person ill if they are consumed raw or undercooked.

Risk of eating raw oysters

Only diarrhea and vomiting are the most common symptoms of Vibrio infections from oysters.

But other infections, like those brought on by Vibrio vulnificus, can result in more serious conditions, like bloodstream infections and painful blistering skin blisters.

15–30% of V. vulnificus infections are deadly, and many patients need urgent care or limb amputations.

Moreover, it is impossible to tell that an oyster is spoiled by looking at it.

An oyster that contains harmful bacteria doesn’t look, smell, or taste different from any other oyster.

Recently, Rodney Jackson died after eating raw oysters.

Cook well and Eat Healthily

The way to kill harmful bacteria in oysters is to cook them properly.

Hot sauce and lemon juice don’t kill Vibrio bacteria. 

Drinking alcohol while eating oysters doesn’t kill Vibrio bacteria either. Cooking oysters properly kills harmful bacteria.

What did FDA admit in this case?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says the opinion. That “just a few oysters can’t hurt you” is a myth, which it reported in its online “Raw Oysters Myths” guide.

“Roberta Hammond, Ph.D., the Food and Waterborne Disease Coordinator for Florida, cites a case where a fatality caused by Vibrio vulnificus happened after eating only three oysters,” the FDA wrote.

“The seriousness of any case relies on many factors. Including how much bacteria is ingested and the person’s underlying fitness conditions.”

Keep reading,

Dr Pimple Popper popped out a Cauliflower-Like Cylindromas

Q Lazzarus died at 61:What happened? Cause of death Explained

 

Follow us on Twitter to get instant notifications on the latest news.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
close
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x