Why do we celebrate World Forest Day: Since 2012, March 21 has been designated as International Day of Forests. The day’s goal is to raise awareness about the value of all types of forests. The theme of the International Day of Forests in 2022 is “Forests and sustainable consumption and production.”
World Forest day
Why do we celebrate World Forest Day: The Food and Agriculture organization Nations established the International Day of Forests in 2012. (FAO).
In 2012, the United Nations General Assembly declared March 21 as International Day of Forests to recognize the value of all types of forests. To commemorate World Forestry Day, all countries are encouraged to participate in local, national, and international activities that involve forests and trees, such as tree-planting campaigns.
What is the theme of the 2022 International Day of the Forest?
The theme for World Forest Day in 2022: The International Forest Day “Forests and sustainable production and consumption” is the theme for 2022. The Collaborative Partnership on Forests selects the theme for each World Forest Day (CPF).
History of the International Day of Forests
The 16th session of the Conference of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) voted to establish “World Forestry Day” in 1971. From 2007 to 2012, the Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) hosted six Forest Days. The United Nations General Assembly later declared March 21 as International Day of Forests (IDF) on November 28, 2012.
The Importance of International Forest Day
What is the significance of Forest Day?
Why do we celebrate World Forest Day: Forest Day is observed to raise awareness of the importance of forests in our regular lifestyle. Many aspects of human life are intertwined with forests in some way. Forests and their sustainable utilization are critical to tackling climate change and ensuring the prosperity of current and future generations.
The Importance of Forests
1. Wood contributes to the development of environmentally friendly fibers for our clothing.
2. Nearly 1.6 billion people worldwide rely directly on forests for shelter, food, energy, medicines, and income.
3. Forests are critical to poverty alleviation and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
4. Tree wood is used to provide millions of people with clean and safe drinking water and to cook bacteria-free food.
5. Forests not only help to regulate our climate by influencing cooling urban areas, rainfall patterns, and absorbing one-third of greenhouse gas emissions, but they also provide livelihoods, medicines, sustenance, and refuge to many communities.
6. Because it can be used to build skyscrapers and replace plastic, wood can also aid in the development and enhancement of communities.
7. Forests support approximately 80% of the world’s terrestrial biodiversity, with over 60,000 tree species.
8. Wood is also used to construct shelters as well as countless pieces of furniture and utensils.
9. Through nanotechnology, wood can also assist us heal and discover new cures. Wood is also transporting us into space.
10. Forests serve as natural filters, supplying clean air and water, as well as being hotspots for biological diversity.
Healthy forests are critical for people and the environment, yet the world loses 10 million hectares of forest each year, an area roughly the size of Iceland.
Global deforestation is proceeding at an alarming rate to pave the way for economic development, which is wreaking havoc on the environment.
While wood is a renewable resource, it is critical to consume and produce wood in a more environmentally friendly and sustainable manner.
The International Day of Forests aims to raise awareness about the importance of healthy forests for healthy livelihoods, to see tangible and credible action on the ground, and to put an end to unsustainable consumption and production patterns that endanger our forests.
- What happened to Clarence Thomas? How is he now?
- Why did Daddy Yankee retire? Reason behind his retirement
- How did Former Maryland legislator die? Burns Cause of Death
- Former Formula One star Reine Wisell has died, Cause of death
- How did Former Rutgers basketball coach Tom Young die? Cause of death
Follow us on Reddit for instant updates!
Stay connected with us on our only official website Medico topics