The toddler died ‘hours after the doctor sent her home with Calpol. Let’s see, how did Hailey Thompson die and the toddler’s cause of death in detail.
How did Hailey Thompson die?
‘Little Hailey Thompson was diagnosed with the virus on December 18, but her family has been told to keep feeding her acetaminophen and fluids rather than antibiotics.
Her parents Kris Thompson, 32, and Iboyla Adam, 35, discovered her unconscious in their bedroom early the following morning.
A 22-month-old toddler’s grieving parents have described how they discovered their daughter dead, just hours after she was released from the hospital.
Hailey Thompson cause of death:
On December 18, it was determined that little Hailey Thompson had a virus, but her family was advised to continue giving her fluids and paracetamol instead of antibiotics.
Her parents found her unconscious in the early morning of the next day. Before a paramedic took over and the child was brought to Wigan Infirmary, Kris performed CPR. Tragically, the child died there, despite the best efforts of the medical staff.
After her parents reported that Hailey’s case was not given enough attention, an investigation has now been opened.
Wigan, Greater Manchester resident Kris said: “We can’t believe we lost our little girl.
“It all happened so quickly. Something in her body took control of her. When we found her at 5.30 am on Monday she was lying in the same position I had seen her in when I went to bed at midnight, only she was stiff and her skin discolored.”
“It was a horrible sight and will haunt me for the rest of my life. We knew in our hearts she had gone, but I rang 999 and screamed down the phone, that our daughter was dying so they got me to do CPR until the fast-response paramedic arrived.”
“But she couldn’t revive her and she was pronounced dead at the hospital.”
What happened to Hailey?
Hailey developed a cough and runny nose on December 7 and was taken to see a doctor who prescribed antibiotics, which she stopped taking due to an allergic reaction.
She was taken to another doctor’s appointment a week later, where the family was informed that because she had a viral infection, Calpol would be more appropriate than antibiotics.
She was able to move around the next day, ate well, drank well, and went to bed at her regular time of 6.30 p.m.
Kris went to check on her at 11 p.m. and discovered her panting, so he dialed 999 and was told an ambulance would arrive soon.
It didn’t arrive after 20 minutes, and 111 told him there was a two-hour wait, so he drove Hailey to A&E, where they waited for more than five hours before she was assessed.
The doctor checked Hailey’s blood pressure, but was unable to check her tonsils, so she told the family to go home, where she promptly fell asleep.
Her parents were instructed to keep her hydrated, give her Calpol, and take her back to A&E if she didn’t get better in three days. She then awoke around noon, coughing, with a runny nose, and acting ‘totally out of character’.
On December 18 at 6.15 p.m., Kris observed Hailey was panting once more, but not as loudly as before. The couple made the most tragic discovery less than six hours later.
‘We need answers’, says parents:
On Sunday, Wigan Infirmary had one of its busiest days ever, and the department afterward declared it a “critical incident.”
When they brought Hailey into the hospital, she was “gasping for breath like a 90-year-old,” and Ibolya and Kris want to know why no blood tests were taken.
The toddler reportedly struggled, clamped her mouth tight, and then vomited during an attempt to inspect her tonsils, according to the pair.
Doctors told the parents, that Hailey should be kept hydrated at home, and instructed them to bring her back to A&E if she doesn’t get better in three days. Tragically, the child passed away within a day.
“We need answers”, Kris remarked. How can a healthy baby die in her sleep? “And why wasn’t she tested for strep A, scarlet fever, or Covid for instance?”
A post-mortem examination cannot be performed until December 28, leaving the couple in an agonizing wait for answers, and police have forwarded the information to the coroner.
An official from the Wrightington, Wigan, and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust expressed their deepest sympathies to Hailey’s family during this awful time. ‘We are aware of the family’s concerns and are currently awaiting further information to understand more.’
How could a hospital send poor little Hailey Thompson, aged just 20 months, home to die? Shame on the NHS. She and her parents deserved much, much better.
— Michael Shrimpton (@RealM_Shrimpton) December 26, 2022
The Telegraph Toddler found dead hours after being sent home by busy hospital
An investigation has been launched after Hailey Thompson’s parents complained that her virus wasn’t taken seriously enough
By Telegraph Reporters 26 December 2022 • 3:27pm
— Sandra Robinson (@ElfieRobinson) December 26, 2022
Follow us on Twitter for more updates.