A building explosion in the South Austin neighborhood on Tuesday morning resulted in at least eight injuries. Let’s see regarding Explosion in Chicago today and what happened in detail
What happened in Chicago today?
An explosion was reported at roughly 9 a.m. in a four-story apartment building at 5601 W. West End Ave, according to a representative for the Chicago Fire Department.
Ten ambulances were dispatched to the area in all, and at least eight patients have been taken to hospitals. One man was in serious to critical condition and the other was in fair to a serious condition when two males were transported to Loyola University Medical Center.
A male was brought to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious to critical condition, while a female was brought there in fair to serious condition.
A female in fair to serious condition was sent to West Suburban Medical Center.
Two males, one in critical to severe condition and the other in fair to serious condition, were transported to Stroger Hospital.
One of the injured victims, according to deputy fire commissioner Marc Ferman, was in a building across the street at the time.
The structure was being searched when the Fire Department was forced to send firefighters in to shore it up. The building search was still going strong at 11:15 a.m. However, according to Ferman, authorities think everyone has left the building.
A video from the Chicago Fire Department that was shared on Twitter reveals that there is a lot of trash outside the building.
Additionally, Chopper 2 noticed debris on the roof of a structure across the street.
What was the cause of explosion?
CBS 2’s Kris Habermehl reports, based on the way the debris fanned out around the building, it’s likely the explosion was the result of a natural gas leak.
— Chicago Fire Media (@CFDMedia) September 20, 2022
According to one neighbor, Shannon Nelson, who lives across the street, the explosion was heard while she was in bed.
Nelson reported, “My bed shook nearly like an earthquake.” Nelson claimed that she could smell natural gas when she went outside.
According to Ferman, the official reason for the explosion is still being looked into. Natural gas service to the structure has been cut off by Peoples Gas.
The Chicago Police Department Bomb Unit and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives were also on the scene to help with the reaction and investigation, according to the Fire Department.
The eastern side of the building’s top story was where the explosion occurred. A lot of bricks and other debris were thrown into the street, destroying at least three parked cars along the curb.
The explosion caused at least one apartment in the building to have its roof fall, and the explosion also caused several windows to be blown out.
She said, “We must also express our gratitude to the courageous members of the Chicago Fire Department who are striving to reduce the hazardous situations. 135 firefighters and paramedics arrived on the site in total.
In addition, the Chicago Department of Buildings has arrived on the scene. According to building inspection records, the structure has failed its last 12 inspections since 2010, including two tickets for “failure to repair or replace defective or out-of-service smoke detectors and operate continuously.” These citations were issued in January 2017 and February 2018.
Roman Viere, the owner of the building, issued a statement in which he said, “We are heartbroken for all of our inhabitants. This is a horrible occurrence.” “The health, happiness, and safety of our residents come first.
We are doing everything in our power to work with emergency agencies, and we stand ready to take any necessary action to assist our neighbors “Viere tacked on. It’s unknown exactly how many people have been made homeless, according to Ferman.
Follow us on Twitter to get instant notifications on the latest news.
Lavanya (Senior Editor) is a full-time content writer with almost 5 years of experience and a part-time teacher. She joined Medico Topics on the Breaking News trainee scheme in 2022 and now works on MedicoTopics.com. As a lifelong learner, She is constantly curious about learning new things and passionate about sharing knowledge with people through her writing and teaching.