Stella-Lily McCorkindale, a five-year-old child from Northern Ireland, died from an illness caused by Strep A infection. Let’s see Who is Stella Lily, how the kid died, and what is Strep A infection in detail.
Who is Stella Lily?
Stella-Lily McCorkindale was a five-year-old girl from West Belfast. She was a beloved child of Colette and Robert. Lily was a student at Belfast’s Black Mountain Primary School.
The school described Stella as a “bright and intelligent little girl.” Stella, a Springmartin girl was reportedly diagnosed with a Strep A infection on Monday and was treated in the intensive care unit at the RVH- Royal Victoria Hospital before sadly passing away.
Cheryl McCorkindale, Stella-aunt, Lily’s praised her “beautiful, wonderful, loving, and humorous” niece on Facebook.
In a post, she wrote: “I had the absolute pleasure of calling Stella-Lily McCorkindale my niece, and my kids not just their cousin, but their friend. She was a beautiful, sweet, loving and funny little girl who fought so hard to stay with us, she was too good for this world…Our family will never be the same again.”
“Cannot believe I won’t see her smile again or hear her shout at me for picking on her daddy – her best mate… Love you loads, we woman.”
How did Stella-Lily McCorkindale die?
The infant grew critically ill last week and was hospitalized; nevertheless, despite the greatest efforts of medical professionals, the child died on Monday.
The child, a student at Black Mountain Primary School in Belfast, Northern Ireland, is the ninth to pass away in the UK from a condition associated with Strep A. The child was taken to the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children for treatment, where she died today.
On Tuesday afternoon, the school posted a statement regarding the death of the five-year-old girl on its Facebook page.
Black Mountain Primary School posted,
“Sadly, the governors, staff, and students of Black Mountain Primary School have been informed of the untimely passing of one of our P2 pupils, Stella-Lily McCorkindale. This is a tragic loss to the Black Mountain Primary School family and our school community, and the thoughts of the entire school are with Stella-Lily’s family and friends at this sad and difficult time.”
“Stella-Lily was a very bright and talented little girl and very popular with both staff and children and will be greatly missed by everyone at school. To assist in supporting our pupils and staff at this sad time, additional trained staff from the Education Authority Critical Incident Response Team have been engaged and will be providing support to the school.”
“We recognize that this news may cause worry in our school community and we want to reassure parents that we continue to work closely with the Public Health Agency at this time.”
Stella-Lily cause of death
Stella-Lily cause of death was due to the illness caused by Strep A infection. The Public Health Agency (PHA) wrote to parents of P1 to P3 students at the school on Friday. Children were asked to go to a clinic to be evaluated by a doctor and to take a course of antibiotics as a prophylactic measure. It sought to reassure parents that it was collaborating closely with the PHA.
The school is still open but is undertaking a thorough cleaning, and qualified employees from the Education Authority’s critical event response team are on hand to assist.
A funeral service will begin at 12.30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 14, at her grandmother’s house, 3 Bromley Street, and continue at 2 p.m. in the Roselawn Crematorium.
What is Group A Streptococcus?
Group A Streptococcus, the name given to a type of bacterium occasionally present in the throat or on the skin, caused Stelladeath. Infections often cause a mild illness, but they can progress to invasive Group A Strep, commonly known as iGAS, which is more dangerous.
The World Health Organization estimates that iGAS claims 500,000 lives annually. According to official UKHSA data, 3.1 persons will experience iGAS for every 100,000 occurrences of scarlet fever.
For infants under one-year-old, the rate is approximately nine per 100,000, whereas, for children one to four years old, it is eight per 100,000. The term “Group A Streptococcus” refers to a type of bacteria that can occasionally be discovered on the skin or in the throat.
A Group Streptococcus commonly causes minor illnesses such as sore throats and skin infections. In rare cases, these bacteria can develop invasive Group A Streptococcal disease, which can be fatal.
How could one acquire Group A Streptococcus?
- Many people carry Group A Strep bacteria without becoming ill.
- It is spread by close contact with an infected person. Also, it can be passed on through coughs and sneezes or from a wound.
- Close physical contact, such as kissing or skin-to-skin contact, can spread it from one person to another.
- Most people who are exposed to group A strep remain healthy and symptom-free. However, a few get minor skin or throat infections.
- Invasive disease transmission by a related or household member is exceptionally rare.
- By consistently washing your hands thoroughly, you can lower your risk of contracting Group A Strep.
- It is recommended that pregnant women and those receiving gynecological treatments wash their hands, both before and after using the restroom.
- When you have a cough or cold, it’s particularly crucial to wash your hands after using tissues. Also dispose them properly.
What are the symptoms?
- Scarlet fever, Cellulitis, and impetigo are among the skin illnesses that Group A Strep can cause. Antibiotics are typically used to treat these infections.
- Rarely, when the germs enter areas of the body that are typically free from bacteria, such as the lungs, blood, or muscles, it can result in serious sickness. This is called invasive Group A Streptococcal disease.
- Invasive disease happens when the bacteria get past your body’s immune defenses. This may occur if you already have a disease or are receiving immune-suppressing medications, such as some cancer therapies.
- The most severe invasive disease subtypes are toxic shock syndrome and necrotizing fasciitis.
- The flu-like symptoms that include a high temperature, a sore throat, and swollen neck glands can be the earliest indicators of scarlet fever (a large lump on the side of your neck).
- After 12 to 48 hours, a rash develops. It appears as small, raised lumps that first appear on the chest and tummy before spreading.
- The rash causes your skin to feel rough, much like sandpaper. On darker skin, the rash will be less noticeable yet still feel rough.
What should parents be wary of?
- It is always concerning when a child is ill.
- GAS infections can cause a sore throat, fever, chills, and muscle aches, among other symptoms.
- If you believe that your child appears to be seriously ill, as a parent, you should trust your assessment.
Call NHS 111 or contact your doctor,
- If your kid is growing worse
- If your child is eating or drinking considerably less than usual. If they hasn’t had a wet diaper in at least 12 hours, or exhibits other indicators of dehydration.
- When you touch your baby’s back or chest, they feel hotter than usual
- When your baby is under 3 months and has a temperature of 38C, or is older than 3 months and has a temperature of 39C or higher
- When your baby feels sweaty
- When your child is very tired or irritable.
Call 999 or go to A&E –
- If your child is having trouble breathing. You may hear them gurgling noises or see their stomach sucking in against their ribs.
- If there are pauses when your child breathes
- If your child is sluggish and won’t remain awake or wake up.
How can we prevent the spread of infections?
To stop the spread of many bugs, practice good hand and respiratory hygiene.
Your child can lower their risk of contracting or spreading diseases. It can done by learning how to properly wash their hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. Also use a tissue to sneeze and cough, and stay away from other people when they are feeling unwell.
Follow us on Twitter for more updates.