Tragedy struck on the Eyre Highway at Lincoln Gap as a fatal collision claimed the life of a 31-year-old man from Ceduna. The victim, identified as Kingsley Betts, lost his life in a head-on collision involving his Lexus and a truck at a bend on Tuesday morning. The incident unfolded as a devastating collision on the highway, marking a poignant loss within the Ceduna community. Keep reading to learn more about this incident.
Tragic Collision Claims Life of Ceduna Man Kingsley Betts
A fatal collision on South Australia’s Eyre Highway, near Port Augusta, resulted in the untimely death of Ceduna resident Kingsley Betts, aged 31. The devastating incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday morning when Betts’ Lexus SUV collided head-on with a truck at a bend along the Eyre Peninsula.
Emergency services responded swiftly to the scene at Lincoln Gap, approximately 27 kilometers west of Port Augusta, after receiving reports just past 2 am on Tuesday. Despite the immediate response, Betts, the sole occupant of the Lexus, tragically lost his life at the crash site.
The collision also left the 60-year-old truck driver from Quorn with severe injuries. While initially treated at a local hospital, reports suggest he will be airlifted to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for further medical attention due to the seriousness of his injuries.
Following the crash, a section of the Eyre Highway between Caroona Rd and Press Rd remained closed for over 12 hours. This closure disrupted the flow of road trains and vehicles along this vital freight route. Detours were put in place, redirecting traffic through Caroona Rd as authorities worked diligently to manage the situation.
- Location: Eyre Highway, near Lincoln Gap, approximately 27 kilometers west of Port Augusta, South Australia.
- Time of Incident: Early hours of Tuesday morning.
- Involved Vehicles: Lexus SUV and a truck.
- Victim: Kingsley Betts, 31, from Ceduna, the sole occupant of the Lexus, tragically died at the scene.
- Injuries: The 60-year-old truck driver from Quorn sustained serious injuries and was initially treated at a local hospital; reports suggest he will be airlifted to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for further medical attention.
- Road Closure: Eyre Highway closed between Caroona Rd and Press Rd for over 12 hours, leading to disruptions in traffic flow, including road trains along the major freight route.
- Emergency Response: Emergency services responded promptly following reports of the collision just after 2 am on Tuesday.
The tragic loss of Betts marks the 109th fatality on South Australia’s roads this year. This incident serves as a sad reminder of the importance of road safety and the need for vigilance while traveling on the state’s highways.
As the community mourns the loss of Kingsley Betts, thoughts and condolences are extended to his family and friends during this difficult time. Authorities continue their investigations into the circumstances surrounding this heartbreaking collision, seeking to understand and prevent such tragedies from occurring in the future.
Benjamin Miller: “R.I.P., my nephew/brother. Sending love and heartfelt condolences to the family. 😥🌹♥️”
Michelle Karagiannis: “Deepest sympathies and condolences to his entire family. 😥😥😥 Such an immense tragic loss of an energetic guy!! Your laughter, jokes, and conversations will be greatly missed at the pizza shop. 😥😥”
Helen Maffescioni: “My thoughts go out to the truck driver. Sending sympathy to the family of the deceased.”
Marilyn R Coulthard: “😭 Thinking of you, my daughter Katisha, and Nana’s Berries and Robert. Also, sending condolences to his family.”
Follow us on Twitter for more updates.
Lavanya (Senior Editor) is a full-time content writer with almost 5 years of experience and a part-time teacher. She joined Medico Topics on the Breaking News trainee scheme in 2022 and now works on MedicoTopics.com. As a lifelong learner, She is constantly curious about learning new things and passionate about sharing knowledge with people through her writing and teaching.