“In the quiet corners of Little Rock, Arkansas, a profound sense of sorrow blankets the community. The loss of a spiritual giant, a gifted musician, and a cherished leader has cast a deep shadow over the hearts of many.
Pastor Darius Nelson, the beloved Pastor of Worship and Arts at St. Mark Baptist Church, was not merely a man of faith, but a radiant beacon whose presence illuminated the lives of all who had the privilege of knowing him.
In this tribute, we remember the life and legacy of Pastor Darius Nelson, a man whose sermons touched souls, whose love was boundless, and whose unwavering faith inspired all who were fortunate to walk alongside him.”
Darius Nelson Passed Away
Darius Lamar Nelson, the respected Pastor of Music and Arts at Saint Mark Baptist Church in Little Rock, has sadly passed away at the age of 52.
Pastor Nelson was a cherished figure within the community, known for his passionate dedication to his role and his uplifting impact on countless lives.
His loss leaves a significant void in the church and the broader Little Rock community, but his legacy of faith, music, and kindness will continue to inspire those who know him.
What happened to Nelson?
The church shared this sad news on their Facebook page last Friday. The announcement of Pastor Darius Lamar Nelson’s passing, made by Senior Pastor Phillip L. Pointer Sr., affectionately known as “Pastor P,” was heartfelt and poignant.
While the post did not provide specific details regarding the cause of Pastor Nelson’s death, it conveyed a profound sense of faith and trust in the face of this inexplicable loss.
Cause of death
At this moment, the exact circumstances surrounding the passing of Pastor Darius Lamar Nelson have not been disclosed to the public. The specific cause of his death remains a matter of private knowledge, and it’s imperative to respect the family’s privacy during this difficult time.
In moments of personal tragedy, such as this, it’s a reminder of the need for sensitivity and respect for the privacy of those who are mourning, as they come to terms with the loss of their loved one.
As of Friday night, the specific arrangements for Pastor Darius Nelson’s funeral were still pending. In the church’s Facebook post, Senior Pastor Phillip L. Pointer Sr., known as “Pastor P,” kindly requested that individuals who connected with and cherished Pastor Darius refrain from sending condolences until they receive information regarding the funeral arrangements.
Darius Nelson: Quick Biography
- Darius Lamar Nelson was born on August 12, 1971, in Little Rock, Arkansas, as the youngest of two sons to Lee Edward and Willie Jean Nelson.
- He grew up in West Little Rock, near Pinnacle Mountain, where his father owned a brick masonry business, and his mother operated a hair-styling salon. Darius described himself as a “latch-key kid” as his older brother left home after high school.
- He graduated from Parkview Magnet High School in 1989 and later from Philander Smith College in 1995. Darius discovered his passion for music and singing in a local church, a love he carried with him throughout his life.
- He achieved recognition as a member of the Saint Mark Baptist Church choir, which won the How Sweet the Sound gospel choir competition in Dallas in November 2013.
- This victory led to other honors, such as singing Christmas carols at the White House and performing “Let It Go” from “Frozen” on ABC’s “Good Morning America” in 2014.
- Darius Nelson was featured in a high-profile story in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on July 16, where he shared fond memories and achievements from his life.
- He is survived by his wife, Dr. Michelle Riddick-Nelson, their two children, Daria and Devhan, a granddaughter named Emersyn, and his mother, Willie Jean Nelson.
- Darius’s life was marked by his musical talent, love for family, community involvement, and unwavering faith, leaving a lasting impact on all who knew him.
Obituary: Darius Lamar Nelson (August 12, 1971 – October 6, 2023)
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Darius Lamar Nelson, a beloved son, husband, father, and pillar of the community. He was the youngest of two sons of Lee Edward and Willie Jean Nelson.
Darius is survived by his wife, Dr. Michelle Riddick-Nelson, their children, Daria and Devhan, a granddaughter, Emersyn, and his mother, Willie Jean Nelson. [Funeral Arrangements: To Be Announced] [Donations: In lieu of flowers, contributions to a musical or charitable cause close to Darius’s heart may be made in his memory.]
We at Medico Topics pray for Darius Nelson’s family and friends as they navigate this road to recovery together. Please feel free to drop condolences to Darius Nelson by leaving a note in the comments section below.
Follow us on Twitter for more updates.
Lavanya (Senior Editor) is a full-time content writer with almost 5 years of experience and a part-time teacher. She joined Medico Topics on the Breaking News trainee scheme in 2022 and now works on MedicoTopics.com. As a lifelong learner, She is constantly curious about learning new things and passionate about sharing knowledge with people through her writing and teaching.